Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing network Outlook passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan19

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2002
US
We have an NT4 box with Small Business Server 4.5 and Microsoft Exchange. I want to change our employees' Outlook passwords, but going into Exchange I don't see any option to do so. It does, however, look like that information is tied into the SBS profiles: in Exchange, it says something like "Primary NT account" and then references the user names that they are listed as under SBS.

So does this mean that a user's network logon password here (which was set up through SBS when we created their profiles) and Outlook password have to be the same? (If I haven't been clear enough, I can try and explain the setup more.) Basically I just need to change their Outlook passwords but I'm getting the impression that I'd need to change the network password since it looks like they're "linked." Is that right?

m19

That is correct. Outlook uses NT domain authentication to validate access.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Thank you for confirming that. I wish they could be separate, but at least I know now. :)

m19

yes it is NT authentication- but there is a way to change the NT password through Outlook as long as they are successfully connected to the network.

1.) Click {Tools}
2.) Click {Options}
3.) Click the {Other} tab then the {Advanced options button}
4.) Click {Custom forms} then click {Password}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back