Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Netbios names in Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkeefer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2001
US
I have an existing NT 4.0 domain, I will be integrating a Windows 2k domain into this environment. Through some stroke of genius both networks have the same netbios names. I need to change the netbios names on the Windows 2k network before I integrate the two. Active directory, DNS, etc.. have already been installed. Does anyone know how easily this can be done? (And the exact steps required).
Win 2k network consists of a AD/GC/File server, Exchange/Rightfax Server,Web/proxy server,Citrix server,and 2 SQL servers. Reloading the OS is really not an option at this point. And remember, any help is good help. Thanks

I'm not sure I entirely understand - shouldn't you be integrating the NT 4 network into the 2k one? Or upgrading to 2k and moving those servers into your 2k domain? As far as I am aware, changing NETbios names is not a problem - right click the 'My Computer' icon, click the 'Network Identification' tab, and change the name. I think you can also do this via a registry key, but I don't know it off the top of my head. The following sites might have some more info: support.microsoft.com, Hope any of this helps

We are actually replacing the NT network with the 2000 network. They will both need to run side by side for a little while and the clients will need access to both networks. That's why we're not upgrading etc... Thanks for the advice Kurlach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back