Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing mouse to lefthanded use

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenZebra

MIS
Mar 31, 2004
US
Hello all! I have a question here about changing my mouse settings in Windows XP. I want to change it to lefthanded use, and I know how to do it through the control panel, but is there a way to do it from a command prompt? Any information you can give me on this would be much appreciated! ;-)Thank you!

no,but if you want , setup 2 user accounts with the different mouse configurations,both can be admin accounts and have full control,just each account has it's own settings. Why would you want to be able to do it in a command prompt?

Because I need to be able to do it for someone remotely- and they aren't always logged in when I need them to be. Our department uses Dameware, but to my knowledge there isn't a way to change mouse settings unless the user is logged in. (We can access a command prompt that way though.)

JenZebra,
I use my mouse with both hands (when one starts to get sore) and don't change the settings.
I find it quite satisfactory.
Are you sure you really need to change the settings?

I still don't understand why you don't have multiple user accounts setup,that is a main benefit of windows xp.

P.S. Just in case anyone wanted to know how this can be done- I still don't know of a way to do this through a command prompt, but I did find out a way to do it through the registry. (This is something that can be done remotely through Dameware.) And as I'm sure you already know, please be careful when editing the registry- even doing seemingly simple tasks in the registry can cause a lot of damage if done incorrectly. In other words, THIS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! That being said :), open the registry editor and go to hkey_current_user. Expand Control Panel, then click on Mouse. In the details pane, look for SwapMouseButtons (this should be towards the bottom). Double click this and change the value from 0 to 1. If you want to change it back, (changing it back in control panel is not a permanent fix- it will revert back to lefthanded when the machine is restarted) just change the registry value back to 0. And to those who responded: thanks again for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back