Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing max message size in Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanson

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
Currently, any messages over 4MB are returned by the server with a message that the email is over the 4,000 KB limit.

Althought it's not a good idea to send such large attachments in the first place, there are users who, on occasion, need to send larger files through. How do you edit the max size of the files and what impact will there be in increasing it to, lets say, 15 MB?

Hanson

To edit the message size go into the Message Transfer Agent (MTA) properties, General tab is where you can change the size. I have 15mg limit and have no problems.

The thing is, it is set to No Limit already. I manually set it to 15 MB.

Hanson

If you are using Exchange 5.5, there are three places that the sending message size limit can be set, all using Exchange Administrator.

One place to change it is in the user's mailbox properties ("limits tab" under "message sizes")

Another place is under the server's Message Transfer Agent properties on the General tab (under message size)

Lastly it can be set on your internet mail service on the General tab (under message size)

My Exchange organization has a 10mb limit and we do not have any performance issues with sending attachments this large. One thing I would caution though is to set some kind of a limit. I've seen people try to send 100mb files!

By default, all three values (user, MTA, and IMS) were set to No Limit. And yet...

So I set all of them manually to 15 MB. No dice.

Any suggestions?

Are you trying to send large attachments internally? If not...a wild guess.... are you absolutely sure that this message that you are receiving is coming from your server and not a remote server? I know that it's silly to ask but sometimes I receive size limit messages from remote servers.

I have a 10mb limit set on my servers' MTAs. Here's what a typical warning message that is sent to the Administrator mailbox looks like. Is that the error that you are seeing?

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 4:07 PM

To: Administrator

Subject: Notification: Outbound Mail Failure - A protocol error

occurred.

A mail message was not sent due to a protocol error.

11111143 bytes exceeds server limit of 10485760

Note: If you are getting the following error - "552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation - Maximum Message Size Exceeded" more than likely it's the remote server that is rejecting the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back