Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Location of Domain.com folder (formerly M:\ Drive) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEG78

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2004
US
I am establishing my first Server with Exchange 2003 and have a question... I know that you have to add a DriveLetter Key in the Registry so that it will map your "virtual" folder. My question has to do with the space listed on the mapping. I have 3 actual partitions on my Server: C-4GB E-15GB F-50GB. I wanted to "move" the virtual folder to my F: Drive so that space will not be an issue. Questions:
1. Is there any reason to do this?
2. I have already moved my Mailbox Store DB's to the F: Drive and all Logs to my E: Drive, so do I even need to worry about that Folder being there as well?
3. How do I move it if this is going to be an issue??

Thanks in advance,
Josh.

Leave it where it is. It is VIRTUAL. Your DBs are on F and your logs are on E, the M drive doesn't really exist.

Step AWAY from the server.

That's what I thought, it just freaked me out when I saw that it was only 4GB. I thought since I changed the DB to the F: Drive it would change the Folder size of this to reflect that.

Sorry about the newbie questions, I am a former Lotus Notes User (not a huge fan of that either), and this is my first Exchange Implementation.

Thanks for your quick reply!

One more question while I am thinking about...

I am implementing this Server as a "New" server. There is currently another Server running Exchange 2000 that I need to pull all the Data out it's MBX & Public Folders. We are changing eMail addresses as well. I would like for the Users not to lose all of their old eMails. Is there a way to copy the Data over, or is there a Migration Utility?

4GB = space in use. This will grow as the DB grows.

Are both servers in the same organisation and site? How many users?

There is xmerge which you could consider.

Here is my scenario... I just started here last month. We had a verrry poor Admin that really had no idea what she was doing. Everything was completely band-aided together. When creating the original domain w/ 2000 she misspelled it, never noticed it, joined all PC's, converted from Exchange 5.5 to 2000, completely screwed that up, a router was left open at our former ISP, so our eMail Server got turned into an Open Relay for Spam, got blacklisted etc. Needless to say I have doing a considerable amount of cleanup on the Network, Firewall, VPN, etc. which is all done. The company purchased the SA pack to upgrade to 2003 (Exchange and Server), so I purchased 2 new Servers, and am basically doing a new implementation of all Servers/Services. Our former domain was local.domain.com and I am changing to local1.domain.com (just with the correct spelling). We are a pretty small firm (less than 60 pcs), and we get upwards of 300 Spam items per day in each day. Because of that I am creating new eMail addresses, and recreating the old eMail address on the new Server for a limited conversion period. Then the old address will be shut off.

I hope you now get a better understanding at what I am up against. :)

Do some research on a utility called exmerge. It is included with exchange and will take all items in a mailbox and create a pst file. Then you can use the 2003 exmerge utility to move the mail into the new mailboxes.

Thnks in advance to all users out there who continually answer all of our questions. Although I try to answer some questions, I usually am asking.

Exmerge did the trick. I had even more of a problem with transferring the Public Folders & Calendars over. I eventually just archived them and then "un-archived" them on the new Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back