Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing IRQ With Non-Plug & Play Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNPeacekeeper

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2003
CA
Hello everybody, I am new to the forum here, and I need some help with some hardware problems.

My IRQ channel #19 is shared by both my USB controller and video card. Therefore, I want to switch my video card to channel #11. However, I encountered some difficulties as the "Use automatic settings" check box was not avaliable to uncheck. How do I switch it?

Thank you in advance to everybody!

If it is a non plug and play device you will probably have a utility disk that will let you change its parameters.

Ummm...There is IRQ Channel up to #23 for me. I checked in Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information. I have Windows XP Pro, but I believe that Windows 98/ME users can also go there. Also, [referring to Franklin] what utility disc are you talking about, do you mean the driver disc. There isn't any tools on it.

Thanks

There are 15 logical IRQ's and 240 Virtual ones. (255-15)
XP with APIC and ACPI can (and will) use IRQ's as it sees fit, providing you have the hardware (motherboard chipset) to support it.
The only way to change the IRQ, would be to go into the BIOS setup, and manually assign an IRQ (11 in this case) to the USB controller. Read the manual, as it will be a different procedure for each mobo.
Windows should pick up the changed IRQ on it's next boot and assign resources accordingly. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thank you for taking your time to help me!

I think my motherboard is capable of handling it as it is a quite new motherboard, although not top-of-the-line(Intel D845GLLY Chipset). I went to the BIOS setup at startup and manually changed the video card IRQ to 11. When windows started up, it shows the video card as #18 now instead of 19. Because #17 slot is free, I switched the IRQ to 10 , hoping to get it one more down. It didn't work. Since my USB is intergrated within my motherboard, I don't know how to change the IRQ for that. Is it also in the BIOS setup?

USB IRQ is sometimes in BIOS...depending, it's probably under Advanced, or Peripherals.
With ACPI enabled, windows is going to put things all over the place, to get them in the same place as BIOS, you need to boot to safe mode, remove the device from device mangler, and then go into BIOS to assign things.
Also set "PnP OS Installed" to NO, and "Reset configuration data" to YES.
Might work, can't hurt. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back