Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing ip and hostname

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Technical User
May 3, 2000
SE
I'm new to Solaris, so this is probably rather basic.
We've several solaris-machines as dns-servers spread across a wan.
I'm planning on installing an extra machine to replace the others in case of hardware-fault/crasch.

I'll install SunOS 5.7 and Bind 8 on it.
Depending on which server that's going down, I'll know what ip and hostname to give the new machine.

BUT... How do I change IP and Hostname easiest?
ifconfig for the ip-address?
Which files contain hostname information? Which files should I manipulate?

Are there anything else I should have in mind?

The db-files and /etc/named.conf are already backed up in case your're wondering. /Sören

ifconfig to change the ip address
use 'hostname <name>' to change the hostname

is that really all that is necessary?

btw... thanks! /Sören

As you're probably only going to be using this machine whilst the crashed one is down, you'll probably get away with making these changes interactively as above. If it's likely to be for a longer period, you might want to have a look at thread 60-62539 for details of the files to change to ensure the IP and hostname details are picked up following a reboot.

Cheers.

It is more likely that this machine will replace the crasched one for good.

That Thread almost gave me more questions that answers :)
People do things differently wherever you go.
I'll stick with the /usr/sbin/sys-unconfig sollution though, since rebooting won't be a problem.

thank you for that link KenCunningham. /Sören

The suggestion to change the IP address using ifconfig will ONLY work until the NEXT REBOOT.

There are a couple of files to manipulate to make the change permanent.

I believe the link above will explain this toyou, I just wanted to reinforce the idea that ifconfig is not permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back