Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing IP Address Schemes

Status
Not open for further replies.

khurram

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2001
CA
I have the following situation. Right now, we have a network with a the
following IP address scheme:

IP Address Range: 90.0.0.x
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I want to change it to
IP Address Range: 192.168.10.x
Subnet: 255.255.254.0

Is it possible to stack the new IP address to the network card of the DC so
that it has both 90.0.0.1 and 192.168.10.1 and then slowly we could migrate
over to the new address scheme?

I've been trying to do so but for some reason, other W2K machines with dual IP's don't seem to be registering the 2nd IP address with the DNS server?

Any ideas?

I dont think there is way to use two Ip addresses on the one NIC. The easiest way is proably putting a second NIC into the DC.
Why dont you implement a DHCP scope with the new IP address range ? You can set up the scope to automattically register clients A & PTR records into DNS

Actually, you can use several IP's on the same NIC. I did it on our webserver. It has over 20. But the problem is that it would only register the first IP, not the other 19.

As for adding another card, too much work involved and resetting DHCP is no problem but we have multiple locations so I want to make this transition slowly, not right away.

Sorry i cant help you then. Perhaps some other person in this forum can help you.
Good Luck

Although i am interested on how you put multiple ip addresses on the one NIC

Just go to the TCP/IP properties of the NIC and click advanced. You should see an area where you can put multiple IP's with subnets. You can also do the same with NT 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back