Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing internal DNS ip addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan2772

MIS
Jul 19, 2001
US
I was wondering if someone would be-able to help me out. I have to change the entire ip addresses of the company I work for. The person who set up the network before me used the ip range of 192.100.100.1 - 192.100.100.254 and I would like to change it. I am not sure on how to do this. We are running Win 2000 server and AD directory and only have about 80 computers.

Are you using static addresses or DHCP?

If they are static you have to decide on a new IP scheme and change each and every workstation individually. If this is the case I suggest changing all the machines to use DHCP using your 2000 server.

If you are already using DCHP you can change the settings on the server to take care of everything (a much eaiser solution). First change your server to the ip range you want. To adjust the DHCP settings go to your 2000 server and go to start --> Programs --> administrative tools --> DHCP. Change the address pool to the range you want. When the workstations reboot everything will be ok.

Hope this helps.

What's your reason of changing internal IP address..
As vetter96 said, if it's static then it's very tediuos. If you install dhcp then make sure it will work properly with your dns. Check your dns/wins how it was configured otherwise all your user can't login to the network.

Why you fix if it's not broken :) Just concern Man..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back