Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Inbound Caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2005
US
I need some help. I have an IP office 3.0 switch, and I am trying to setup a fax server. The fax server needs to see the caller ID display to route the fax to the user via e-mail. Currently the switch displays the incoming number, and I need it to display the extension number assigned to the incoming call route.

Any suggestions on how to change the caller ID to show the internal extension number?

Please be detailed in how to make the changes. I have limited experience in managing a phone switch, and it was 6 years ago.

I have done something similar on the Avaya INDeX switch but not on the IPO.

I am assuming you are using something like ZetaFax on ISDN S Bus connections.

Route the calls to Users on the IPO then have these users on an unconditional divert to your S Bus Extns.

Worked a treat on the INDeX. Worth a try on the IPO.

Hope this helps.

Jamie Green

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

I also need to do something like this for fax servers. Basically you need to have DID that passes the DTMF for the last 4 digits or some method like unto that.

Sorry that's not much help. I'll see if I can come up with anything.

jamie77...I appreciate the answer, but it doesn't make any sense to me. I had one class for one week on Definity switches 6 years ago. At the time I managed a G3. I left that company about 4 months after the training. Now I find myself trying to catch up on the latest technology. So your answer will need to be dumbed down so I can understand it. :)

Actually DTMF won't work in this case. I tried it. Microsoft FAX server doesn't recognize them, because it doesn't have any native FAX routing capabilities. It does, however, recognize the callerID. I wrote a program to read the callerID and tif file name from the log files. It then does an LDAP query to match the callerID number up with an e-mail address in Active Directory. It takes the e-mail address uses it to send the tif file to the FAX reciepent. (yea, I am a cheap SOB... )

I saw a thread here where they were changing the outbound callerID with short codes, but I didn't understand it. I was thinking I could use the same short codes on the user linked to the inbound call route. That would send the callerID I programmed to the fax server instead of the outside number.

Would that work, and how do I setup the short codes to change the caller ID?

bring the call into a shortcode as follows

SC MyCLI
TelNum 200"xxx"
Line 0
Feature dial or dial ext

xxx being the cli u want to use

Can I get more detail on how to do this?

Thanks for all the help!

incoming call route destination is the short code, this will displaythe desired name/number not change the actual cli, u still have a record of the cli in delta server

Are you routing the calls based on incoming callerID, or routing by number dialed, hence, extension. Is it a digital or analog interface between the FAXServer an teh IP Office? Typically, these servers have a digital (T-1) interface to the switch, and they are routed to fax "mailboxes" depending on the number dialed. These faxes are then emailed to the suer on the LAN. If it is TT interface, analog, it's another story.

The connection between the switch and the fax server is a standard POTS connection. The fax server can see and display the caller ID during the fax transmission. What I wanted to do was to suppress the caller ID coming into the switch from the public telephone company, and replace it with the last 4 digits (i.e. the extension number) of the receiving fax number. Then my program can match that number with the fax number in Active directory, and retrieve the e-mail address from Active Directory.

To simplify, I want an outside call to look to caller ID like it was dialed from the internal extension. Example, the person sending the FAX dials 202-555-1212, the inbound call route sends that to extension 5302. The caller ID on the fax machine line displays 5302.

Again, thanks for all of your help and patience.

OK, this is getting a little tricky, Clay. If analog lines are coming into the FAX server, you want to route the FAX by the CID, as if it were coming from a public network, I think. On the switch, I don't think you will get that information on an analog extension. Won't you have to have a digital interface witht he FAX server? In other words, on an analog extension, there's not much passed in the way of extra information. Not sure if you can do it. If you set ythe IPO up as if it were going to talk to a VMS, you can get some simple codes passed, telling a VMS port what extension sent the call, etc., but in that case the FAX srver will have to be able to read those VMS "mode" codes. Can it?

Oh it's not all that complicated...

Connect your POTS ports to your fax board(s)
Put those extension into a hung group (no vm, ring linear)
Create a shortcode for each fax DID (eg 5555032 5555034)
Shortcode 5555032
Telephone Number 8000D5032 (assuming 8000 is the HG #)
Feature DialExtn
Point your incoming call route to the shortcodes

Kyle Holladay
Certified: ACACN, ACSCI, ACSCM, TIA-CTP
"If it worked the way it should you wouldn't need me

Ok.. I tried that. It still shows the outside number for the caller ID.

What did I do wrong?

OK. I got it to work. I followed your directions:

Shortcode 5555032
Telephone Number 8000D5032 (assuming 8000 is the HG #)
Feature DialExtn

But I had to change the telephone number in the shortcode to use an "s" instead of a "D".

Same text, with the working short code.

Shortcode 5555032
Telephone Number 8000s5032 (assuming 8000 is the HG #)
Feature DialExtn

A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back