Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing IIS server's netbios name

Status
Not open for further replies.

viciousdogs

Technical User
May 7, 2003
US
I'm building a new Win2k server to replace our current web server. The problem is that the new machine's netbios name needs to be the same as the old machine because of some custom scripts.

I want to build the new server and then turn the old server off and rename the new machine

Are there any procedures to follow to prevent problems with IIS when I change the machines netbios name? I remember I tried this once awhile back with NT 4.0 server and ran into a lot of problems.

thanks.

Easiest way I found was to add a WINS alias of the old machine name pointing to the new server once the old machine was taken down. But providing it is not an AD controller or running Exchange there should be no major problems.

Without actually trying it, one possible issuse would be the IIS service account but it's simple enough to create a new name for the service logon.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Won't the IIS metabase retain the old name if I just rename the machine?

It's not an AD controller or running Exchange.

I was assuming so, altough that's a dangerous game where computers are concerned of course. But as I've never had the need to do the operation (or the desire to try it just for fun [hammer] ) I don't have any point of reference.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back