Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing HostID of a machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasmi

IS-IT--Management
Jun 22, 2003
US
I had an old PC which I gave up to buy a new one. I moved all software onto the new one. What I did not realise at that time was that the license for a specific software was using the hostid of the old PC and is failing to start in the new machine. The maintenance period for the vendor has expired and I am getting no responses from them. I read somewhere that this can be solved by changing the hostid of the machine. Searching the web was not very helpful as solutions are available only for changing hostid in the UNIX environment whereas I have Windows 98. Can somebody tell me a way to modify the hostid of my new PC to that of the old one?

Could we have more information on exactly what your problem is? What is the exact error and what software package is the offender?

the scope of the SW vendor is to avoid to copy sw between
machines.

To acheive this result, must be a unique identifier for
each machine. Workstation (not intel based) has a
cpuid different from a machine to other
(in AIX or HPUX environment you can get it by command uname)

In Intel platform, only now exist something similar.

But still now, the unique identifier is obtained using
the network adapter: each card has a different identifier,
the MAC address. You install the package on a machine
and enter a command (example: hostid). You receive a code
from machine that is different from all other in the world.
You phone or fax it to vendor, and he gives you a Key for
the sw. The program has the same algoritm of the key generator, and checks the the license validity.

If you clone a mchine or install a fresh copy of sw, you cannot use the key of the machine 1, becouse the result of
yhe hostid command is different from machine 1 and 2.

A attempt is to move the network adapter from mach1 and
install in machine 2, but usually there are other
layer of test:

try

bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back