Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing from workgroup to domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ph1sh

Technical User
Feb 28, 2003
US
hi,

i need to bring my citrix server out of its workgroup and into the domain. does anyone know of any problems or issues this may cause?

Thanks!
Jen

I would like to explain more of what i am trying to do....I am trying to install the Client portion of Great Plains - Dynamics 7 on Citrix to allow users to access the application remotely. However, my citrix machine is in its own workgroup and not a part of the domain. Therefore it is unable to find the SQL Server when i try to configure ODBC. I would like to bring the citrix server into the domain. please let me know if you know of any issues in doing this and of any issues that you may have run into when installing the client version of Dynamics on Citrix.

Thanks,

Jen

You will most likely have to make the server a DC (Domian Controller), depending on how you have your network setup. There shouldnt be any issues, besides having the domain users profiles created on the server when they log in.

I personally don't like making Citrix Servers domain controllers if for no other reason than the increase in traffic and CPU usage. I am familiar with the Great Plains product in question and all you need to do is join the domain. Then do your installs, get your ODBC set up as needed and publish the app. This should be a straight forward client setup, and am not sure why you would need ODBC to do a simple GP client connect? You aren't using ODBC at that point.

Good Luck.

make sure you take the server(s) out of the any farm prior to undertaking this!!

You'd probably be best reinstall citrix afterwards as we've found it to be flakey

When I originally installed my Citrix server it was a domain controller on a domain that was used only for Citrix. A few years later I rolled out a separate domain across my company. I then demoted my Citrix server and joined it as a member server to my new domain. No problems whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back