Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing from pots lines to T1 service, help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgoods

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
Hi guys,

Background:
Last year we moved from an old Rolm system to our current Magix R4 system. This forum was indispensable in getting the new system set up... THANKS everyone!

Now we're looking to save a little (actually a lot) of money on our phone bill by going to what XO calls "IP Flex".

With the FAQs and posts here in the forum I have no problem understanding what has to be done on the programming side of things.

I could however use a hand in understanding the hardware changes that are necessary for the change over.

Currently we have one carrier with these modules (in this order):
Processor - w/CKE5 617X33-ML
412 TDL - LS-ID 617B52 (4 trunks incoming, 12 ext. out)
412 TDL - LS-ID 617B52 (2 trunks incoming, 12 ext. out)
800 DID - 617H20 (5 trunks incoming)
016 T/R - 517C34 (2 fax machines outgoing)
Melin Messaging (R4) 617C49

As you can see the carrier is full. Our data right now is a separate dedicated T1.

Here is a quote of what XO wants to give us:
IP Flex 3.0 Mbps (I assume this is two T1's)
IP Flex CAS Trunks (QTY 5) (? Trunks over the T1's ?)
IP Flex Analog Lines (QTY 12) (?)
(Along with our 800 numbers, DID blocks etc.)

My initial thought was to pull the two 412's and the 800 DID, put in two DCD's and an 024 to get our 24 internal extensions back. But do we really need to?

What I don't understand is the physical connection to the new circuits. I am guessing here but since they mention the 12 analog lines above it sounds like if we didn't want to go CAS/PRI we could just leave our system as it is.

Any insight would be really helpful. Maybe a link to a FAQ or something that explains how these circuits work at the physical (wire) level. I've been reading for days and still can't get my head around it.

This is my limited understanding so far...

The T1's come into a CO owned Cisco router and can be broke out from there into data and/or voice lines. These lines can be configured as analog, CAS/PRI T1's, or data. As calls come in the QOS on the router takes care of throttling the data line to allow bandwidth for the voice lines which have priority.

Is this even close? If so, then the lines coming into our Merlin wouldn't necessarily have to be T1's, correct? They could be configured as regular analog lines and we would be good to go.

Any help clearing up this mess I've made of my mind in the last week would be appreciated more than you know! :)

Thanks and take care guys,
Ken

You'll need to clarify with XO on how they are delivering the servive. An IP Flex can deliver the voice channels as either analog or digital. The analog version is really just emulating regular POTS lines. If this is the case, you can keep the boards you have and it will work the same. If the delivery is emulating a PRI, you'll need the a DCD module to accept it into the Magix system.

It looks like they are offering an analog solution. 5 analog did's (5 ipflex cas trunks) and 12 analog lines (ip flex analog lines.) No additional hardware would be needed. It's just a 1 for 1 swap. They will install a channel bank that will do the IP to analog conversion.

It just sounds wonderful, doesn't it.

Well, you can kiss remote maintenance good by 'cause you will never be able to dial into the system with SPM again.

I now have to go on site for a client that I had been able to do remote maintenance for before they got this IP based service.

So, a lot of what they saved in monthly telephone service, I now have to charge for on-site visits.

Therefore, make sure with the carrier that this IS VOIP based connectivity. Plus, if you never have a need for remote maintenance, then it's no biggie.

Thanks so much guys, as usual, clear concise information. Really appreciated.

Also Merlinman, thanks for the tip on the remote access. Wouldn't have thought of that. In our case we accesss WinSPM over the local network so I can VPN into my machine at work then remote desktop to the machine physically (serial port) hooked to the merlin, so it's not an issue. I can see how it could be a big problem for a client such as yours. If they have a local network, maybe it would save you some trips and them some money if they would dedicate an old desktop machine (running at least XP Pro) to the merlin and make it accessible to you somehow over the internet. Just a thought.

One more question.

The only limitation the big boss doesn't like about the merlin is conference calls. He would like to be able to have conference calls with up to 6 outside parties.

I told him that we would have to upgrade the system to something like IP Office and have XO swap us over to PRI service in order to accomodate this request.

Any idea (ballpark cost) on what we'd be looking at in used/remanufactured equipment to change over? I know it's hard to guess at such things but if any of you have even a broad range that I could go to him with it would be helpful. There's not much in the budget right now but if we could do it for less than $2500 he may decide to go that route. I looked around but am not really sure of all the modules needed so couldn't get a ballpark price.

Thanks again for your valuable input. Looks like I was on the right track with the way Flex works.

Kind regards,
Ken

If you are re-using 44xx telephone sets and convert to T1 service, you would be looking at $7100 - $7500 with voicemail pro.
IP500 CU + Feature Key
Phone 8 module
PRI single with added licenses for a full 24 channels
Digital 30 expansion
Pro upgrade license
Voicemail Pro license
Power cords and Rack mount kits

Plus $xxx for a PC to run the voicemail.
Estimated on New/Like New IP500v1 1year warrenty pricing and current Feature pricing up to R5. R6 IP500v2 may have a slight pricing difference.

Thanks so much Tektron...

Probably a little bit out of our league at the moment but good information to have. Thank you for detailing it out. At least I know what it's going to take.

Really appreciated!

Kind regards,
Ken

No problems. I've deployed about 40 of these in the past couple of years. Specking these out is almost second nature now.

Thanks again Textron...

One other question, we have two fax lines... is a special module/license needed for these?

Have a great day!
Ken

The Phone 8 module provides 8 analog tip and ring ports. Your faxes would be able to come off that.

Perfect... I assumed so, but you know how that goes... :)

Thanks so much for your input!

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back