Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing from OPTION 11C to OPTION 61C

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAG67

Technical User
May 16, 2005
CA
We are currently running a option 11C with 4 expansion cabinets. Our infrastructure is over a wide area. The expansion cabinets are located in 3 different areas linked back to the Main PBX on fibre. My bosses are interested in further expansion. One idea is to move to a Option 61C. I am currently doing some research but from members of the forum...how easy a change would this be. I am not familiar with the 61C at all. Is it just one larger cabinet or does it have expansion cabinets as well? Would the infrastructure have to change? Could we use any of the OPT 11 cards or do you have to buy completely new ones?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

The line cards(digital and analog) are the same. The 61 sits on the floor and requires a larger footprint than the 11 on the wall. The processor and associated core cards are all different. The good thing is that the 61 and the 11 both use the same cabling as far as infrastructure. ALl you would have to do is install the 61, program the Tn's (which would be different but you could still put all the same phones on the same cards) so that you unplug the 11 and the same cables could be plugged into the 61, so the cutover would be just a few minutes of downtime as long as everything was coordinated correctly.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

you would need to use fiber remote ipe's to replace the remote cab's you have now. that means that you also need floor space at those locations as well as 220 power. the reason i perfer the 61/81 systems is the redundant cpu's. and as the phone guy mentioned if programed right, you just need to extend the switch tails that you have now. i've done several 11 to 61 or 81 cuts and they can go very clean. if your running 3000 series be sure to schedule the firmware upgrade as early as possible.

from a screen point of view, very little change, a few more commands to play with and tn's are all the longer format.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks for the info. How about the trunking cards. I am running 3 x TDMI.

TDMI are not used in the 61C. Best bet would be to convert over to dual PRI card (NT5D12)

Something else you could think about is to ip enable your cabinet, or turn it into a cs1000 solution with ip sets.
Version 5.0 is coming out soon.

dual PRI card (NT5D12) and buy daughter boards for them as opposed to a single msdl card. one dual pri on each shelf. you also want to make sure you get two dtr cards.. the books say one in enough, and it if for the number of stations but if it dies so so your analog stations and did's

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back