Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing from dBase V to Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishow

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
SG
My company uses dBase V (DOS version) for our manufacturing ERP solution. We intend to change to a Windows platform application and Oracle is one of the suggestions. Is Oracle suitable for Electronics manufacturing process? Where do we start if we're new to Oracle? We intend to have in-house programming/support. Thanks for any suggestions.

Just a stab at this. I would suggest first you look into the price of the software at Oracle's site. To some companies, that is enough to turn them away. It is expensive, but I feel it is worth it.

Next step, if you are going to go with Oracle, is to either hire someone that already knows Oracle or look into training for it. It is not something that the average person can just buy one book and install, create and manage. If you can assign at least a two person staff, I would suggest one get DBA training and the other training in some tool to build the front end of your application.

Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Chrishow,

I agree with Terry. Oracle is not an RDBMS that one can learn by writing few hello world routines and passing to the next stage. It is complex and there is a fair bit of learning curve involved. People coming from other RDBMS background like MSSQL and Sybase find it steeper to learn. So what you really need to look at is your budget and fit for purpose. If you want something fairly simple to learn and manage with limited knowledge (as opposed to in-depth knowledge, consider MS SQL Server as well). On Unix I would have thought Oracle is a clear winner. On windows Oracle runs in "shared server" or multi-threaded mode much like MSSQL so I would consider MSSQL as well. It is coming strong and looks good.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like MSSQL is one of the best directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back