Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing from CF4.5 on NT to CFMX on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

da644

Programmer
May 21, 2001
GB
Hi Everyone.

We are moving from a development/live platform of CF4.5 on NT to CFMX on Linux, mainly due to being fed up with NT being so unstable. Can anyone advise on any difference between the NT and Linux versions of CF, apart from not being able to C++ CFX tags? Should most of the code we have already written still work?

Best Regards

Andrew.

Most, yes.

Some of the gotchas will include:
* paths for CFINCLUDES, CFMODULES, CFFILE, etc... if you happened to use backslashes ("\") in the paths, you'll probably have to recode them as forward slashes ("/").

* if you happened to use CFIMPERSONATE, type="OS" is not available on UNIX... there does not seem to be any workaround.

* also, not all of the Windows database drivers are available on UNIX (Access/Excel, for example)... at least out of the box.

* as you said, C++ CFX tags (or any CFX that utilizes DLLs) can not be used.

But for the most part, most CFML is easily migratable between platforms. Best thing to do is copy everything over to your new server and run each of your apps/pages. Any incompatibilities will be readily apparent, and the CF error codes will lead you in fairly intelligent directions to clear up any problems (at least, if the error code specifies a particular tag or function, the documentation for that tag/function is fairly clear about any differences between Windows and UNIX implementations).

Hope it helps,
-Carl

Thanks jgroove... I hadn't seen that MM forum posting before. We're running MX on Solaris without any issues whatsoever (none of the runaway processes discussed in the forum). So I guess it's a Redhat- or Apache-specific occurance. Shame, that.

Hope it helps,
-Carl

Hi.

I'm running it on Redhat 8 with Apache 2.0.40 and the latest CFMX update installed and I've not had any of the runaway processes, so hopefully it's going to ok... Also, most of my code seems to still work ok... just a few minor adjustments needed here and there...

Best Regards

Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back