Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing field from a number to an incrementing auotnumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

Technical User
Jun 19, 2002
US
I am currently using a number to identify a record and I manually increment this each time I add a new record. I would like to convert my number to an autonumber and set the starting point to keep my records in order. I am not a programmer but just a casual Access user. Please help.

Mitchy,
You cannot convert a number field to autonumber field. You have to create another field with autonumber data type. Add a new field and the numbers to existing records will be added automatically. Same to new ones.

Can I force Access to begin numbering with a number other than 1 so I can sychronize the old number field with the new autonumber field?

1. Create a new table with the same fields the old one.
2. In the new table, add a field with Autonumber datatype.
3. Save it but do not open it nor write anything in there.
4. Create a select query with all fields of the old table.
5. Then, convert that query in append query and choose the new table.
6. Add each field to correspondent field, but the field with your old numbers put it in the Autonumber field of the new table.
7. Run the query.
8. That is all.
9. Then, Autonumber will continue with the following number.
10. Now you can put the Primary Key in Autonumber of the new table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back