Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing explorer to not open removeable disks automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySlinger

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
US
Hello,

if an action has been set in explorer to autmatically open removeable disks (i.e. a CD or compactflash card), how would I go about changing this action so that explorer does not open the removable disk automatically.
Windows does not give me a choice either (such as "Open with...Windows Explorer, Windows Media Player, Take No Action" etc.). Otherwise I would've perminantly done the "take no action".

Thanks!
LadySlinger

Open "My Computer". Right-click on the CD-ROM drive and select "Properties". Select the "Auto-Play" tab, and select the desired action for each type of media. Your choices may not show correctly until you exit by selecting OK and then re=open to check your settings.

I did this, selected "No Action" for all the media listed. I clicked on "Apply" then OK. When I took the disk out (it's a Compact Flash card) and placed it back in the CF Card reader, it still opened up the drive in Windows Explorer.
Thanks though it did make sense!

Try this...you may have to add a snap in to the MMC, but maybe not...its been a while since I did this:
Click Start, Run and enter "gpedit.msc" (no quotes). This should open the group policy editor for your system. Under "User configuration" then "Administrative Templates." Expand the Administrative Template and click on "System." A list of options will appear on the right side..select "Turn off Autoplay" (double click it). Select Enabled and in the section below it, use the pull down to select all drives. Save the changes and exit. Please let me know if this makes sense to you...if not, I'll try to find a better way to write it.

pcheather@yahoo.com

Double click on My Computer, click tools on the toolbar, click folder options, click the File Types tab. How XP opens up certain types of media is listed at the top. I think the icon you want to change is the second one listed, which is "Drive". Highlight "Drive", click the change button and remove Explorer.

LadyH - your response did make sense and did work. thank you!

pdxphx - yours worked as well, however the change button was grayed out. So I clicked on the Advance and then unchecked the "Confirm open after download". This stopped the automatic opening process as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Ladyslinger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back