Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Drive Assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylornow

Technical User
Oct 16, 2000
US
I am trying to change the assigned drive letter to my cd rom at home. I have tried everywhere I can think of and I am stumped. The letter is grayed out. I need to change it because it interferes with a drive mapping when I dial in to work. Help.

Thanks in advance

Taylor

What OS are you using? Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my programming!"

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

Do you use Windows default drivers? Or do you use the DOS divers in the config.sys file along with the MSCDEX.EXE in the autoexec.bat?

I am not sure how it can be changed through Windows, but I do know that it can be done through MSCDEX. Just look in the help for MSCDEX for how, if you are going that route... Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my programming!"

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

I would imagine that you have been here, but just in case: the place to make this change is device manager. Right-click on your CD drive; there is a place to set the beginning and ending range of possible drive assignment letters - I make mine Y: and Z: so that they aren't affected by changes I make in partitioning my hard drives. I may be leaving a step out here; it's been a while since I moved to W2K.

If this is where you looked and it's grayed out, there must be some reason for it to be grayed out.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance.

Koldark - I am using windows drivers not MSDOS.

Kelsen - I only have one cd drive on my computer at home. So I kept the same beginning and ending letter. I can highlight it - I just can't change it. My drive letters go - A and then G. Go figure !

Thanks for the help. If you think of anything else I can try - please email me.

Taylor

Your hard drive/drives is/are probably using c,d,e,f. When you add those logical drives it assigns the next available drive letter. Unless you can change the drive letter for the hard drives you probably cant use "D".

You may be able to remove the logical partitions, reassign the CDROM and then add the partitions back, but you could lose the data. Just don't remove windows. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

:)
I may be totally off base buy have you checked you autoexec.bat to see if you have any sort of a lastdrive statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back