Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing DNS info 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylunt1

MIS
Jan 9, 2002
US
I was wondering how one changes the dns server that a netware machine points to. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

do you mean changing the server that runs the named deamon?
or do you mean what dns server the client points to?

there are tids on moving the dns server but it's basically unload named on server running it
in dns/dhcp console in the zone change the server in the box
launched named on new server

remember to change resolv.cfg on servers

client wise - chances are the dns server is issued by the dhcp so it's just a case of modifying the options on the dhcp
if its static then change it on the protocol bit in the network props in control panel

What I want to do is point the netware server to a different DNS server - there is not a DNS server set up on the netware machine. Yet... as part of the testing, I will need to create one.

Hey, as much as I hate to say this, you might also need to reboot the server after the change is made.

I ran into this a while back and went around in circles trying to figure out why it wasn't able to resolve the addresses. Once I rebooted the server, it was fine. I don't remember ever having to do that with earlier versions. I thought it was all done on the fly.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

yep in that case

in the resolv.cfg
there is a line something like
nameserver 10.x.x.x

change it to dns server address

Hi,

Your better off changing it through inetcfg under Protocol/TCPIP. Inetcfg will make the changes to the resolv.cfg file.

I have seen this file corrupt when making the changes directly to it.

Lou

Marv, FYI

You had to reboot because the DNS info is loaded into memoryby the NETDB module. If you reload the NETDB module, then the DNS info will update. Oddly enough, servers running the BM module PROXY.NLM will dynamicly update their DNS info with out issue.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [santa][xmastree]
Senior Network Engineer

Hey Brent, I need to readdress this problem with you.. I setup DNS on a system today, NW6 sp3.. Anyway, had the same problem as what was already discussed in this thread.. Server can resolve names okay, but when hitting the newly configured Novell server to resolve names from the workstation, it can't resolve external addresses. Unloading NetDB didn't work, and I couldn't reboot during production hours. Are there other modules that can be unloaded to do this? Or did I miss something here?

Thanks.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

You set up nameservers in INETCFG
type
INETCFG
at the console
go to
Protocols>TCP/IP>DNS Resolver Configuration

type in your domain name and your nameservers you are trying to us. ESCAPE out, save/update the information. Go to the bottom of the INETCFG menu and choose "Reinitialize System" or type

reinitialize system

at the console and press enter.

No reboots have been necessary to do this or even add/change IP's on Netware for many years. Try pinging the DNS servers from your server at the console

ping 123.45.67.89

(replace with your nameserver IP address). If it pings, then try resolving names with ping.

ping
see if it resolves. If it doesn't, talk to your ISP or whoever has the DNS servers and see if they have an ACL restricting you or a filter somewhere that is preventing it.

if it responds, it is not the server. How is your client set up for DNS? It can't point to the server to forward it (i.e., can't use the IP of your server). I push this out from DHCP server in Netware. Easy, simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back