Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Dell Service tag in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEI4ever

Technical User
Sep 3, 2003
US
I need to change the service tag number in the BIOS to my companies asset tag number. I have a bunch of Dell Latitude laptops with A11 BIOS version. Is there a way that I can change the sevice tag number or add an asset tag?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

You could create a binary of the existing BIOS, make changes and then reflash the BIOS (IF PERMITTED). Why not just record the service tag numbers in your asset database.

There is a utility, ASSET.COM from Dell to make an SMBIOS compliant entry for an asset tag.

I don't want the users to have access to the service tag numbers and I can't password protect the BIOS because if they are in the field and have problems I may need to walk them through BIOS changes and giving them the password would defeat the purpose.

How can I create a binary of the current BIOS? Not sure how to do that. Do you know of a untility I can use?

Thanks again

Do not even think about creating your own flash of the BIOS. Do not even start thinking about it.

The ASSET.COM utility does not change the fact that the asset tag is not shown under BIOS Setup.

Note too:

asset.com is used to set the service tag.

asset.com /s xxxxxxx

Make sure that you make NO mistakes when you are putting in a new service tag in notebook system motherboards. You can set it only ONCE. That's it.

When I try running the ASSET.com utility is gives me an error:

Cannot change Asset/Serivce tag.
Please ensure the tag is in a correct format, and the setup password is disabled

I checked and the password is disabled.
Is there a certain format that the service tag has to be?

You are using this? ftp://ftp.dell.com/utility/Z8314R14.exe

if you type 'ASSET.COM /?' you will get help for the proper syntax to set your asset tags.

Yes I downloaded and installed it from you link and it gives me the same error

Do I need to run it from a floppy or should it work in windows?
If I need to run it from a floppy...how do I create the boot floppy or CD?

I have the same problem with a Dell PowerEdge 4400; however the Asset.com for it does not set the ServiceTag, it only sets the Asset Tag . ...

Help.

Why are you trying to change the Service Tag, as this is set by Dell, and acts like a serial number, the Asset Tag is for companies to track assets,and has no relation to the service tag, unless you reference both in a DB somewhere to track what employee has as an asset. The only time a Service Tag is set is if a servicer replaces the system board from Dell. Asset tags can be changed at any time. Unless they changed something since I became certified. And the only way I could get the program to run is with a bootable dos disk.

I am not trying to change the Service Tag, but rather trying to Fix BIOS after a Program running Totally locked the Server, leaving only a Hard Shutdown to get out of this.

Afterwards, the Service Tage has been wiped out of Bios.

As a result, the System no longer boots due to a check of the Perc 3/di and the drives.

This is why I need urgently to get this code in, especially since the server is no longer under warranty.

Thanks

Boot from the asset tag diskette:

Type Asset/s xxxxx <enter> (where xxxxx is the svctag number)

type Y <enter> may be asked to retype the service tag number in again. this can only be done once.

reboot to F2 and see if service tag has been entered.

If still having a problem the system board will most likely need to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back