Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Default value of Memo field

Status
Not open for further replies.

hefly

Technical User
Feb 6, 2008
US
How do you change the default value of a memo field. Apparently the default value is 255 characters.

If you change it to a greater value than default, will that delete the data that is already in the field?

Thank you.

Hefly

By 'value', do you really mean 'size'?

Just guessing here...

Have fun.

---- Andy

I have refined my problem...

The memo field is not truncating. I base my form off of a query. It is the query that is truncating the data in the memo field.

Is there a way around truncating memo fields in q query?

How do you access the data in your memo field if a query truncates it?

Hefly

To avoid truncation of a memo field in a query you don't use the DISTINCT predicate nor GROUP BYthis field nor use any aggregate function on it.
What is the SQL code of your query and the name of the memo field ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

the field that is truncating is description. My form and reports derive its data from the query.

I find that if I export to MS Word, all the data, including a record with more than 255 characters, is exported. I just can't see it on the form or report.
Below is the field "description" Most records are less than 255 characters, but for ease of observation, I restricted the query to records > 400 characters.

SELECT tblLseTracts.Description, Len([description]) AS [Char]
FROM tblLseTracts
WHERE (((Len([description]))>400));

Thank you.

Hefly

Are you suggesting the Description gets truncated in the provided SQL statement?

Setting the Format property of a control on a form or report will also truncate the value. Text values in Group Headers or Footers may also be truncated.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Yes. The query as above written returns truncated records.

Hefly

Check the table design of tblLseTracts and look for anything in the Format property of the Description field. If there is something there, remove it. There might even be a space hidden there.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back