Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Default Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

buztwet

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2003
US
On a windows 98 machine, when I change the Gateway in Network Neighborhood -> TCP/IP to the .99 address like it should be, it will not allow me to get on the internet. All other computers on network are working ok. When I do ipconfig on this computer, it shows that the Gateway is .153 (not .99 like it says under Network Neighborhood). How do I get it to change in the system? Is there something command line I can type in. This computer is DHCP, does that have anything to do with it?

I do not believe that any settings can be changed in windows if windows got the address from dhcp. I would fix the dhcp server so it assigns the correct gateway (set a perminate address if the computer needs to use a different default gateway) and then refresh the ip address (try using winipcfg (or something like that...)).

SirNuke (first 1014)

That was it - thanks. I didn't know I had to change the gateway properties on the dhcp server. I'm new to this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back