Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing DCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkirkflex

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2006
US
Hello;

Our DC is a Wiondows 2000 server running mixed mode. We want to shutdown this Windows 2000 DC sever and run on of our Windows 2003 mashines as a DC. How is this done, and do we need to go to native mode to do this?

Thanks.

You don't NEED to go to native mode. You'll need to transfer all 5 FSMO roles to the 2003 box. If you have a DHCP scope on the 2000 box, you'll need to move that role over to the 2003 box. And, remember to modify the scope to point to the new DC if it has been pointing the the 2000 box as a primary DNS server.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Thanks monsterjta. Would I do a DCPROM on the 2003 server then transfer the FSMO roles (or can you DCPROMO a 2003 box?) Or do the FSMO transfer to the 2003 box then DCPROMO?

Thanks again.

First do the DCPROMO and let everything replicate from the current DC. Install all required network services and configure your DHCP scope. After everything has replicated, transfer the FSMO roles. If I were you, I would keep the 2000 box up and running for redundancy in case the 2003 DC should ever fail or be taken offline for maintenance.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back