Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Data Source for an Excel Chart in a Word Document

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhujanga

Programmer
Oct 18, 2007
US
I am making various reports that are basically the same but with different specifics. So for the first on I created a nice Excel sheet in which a I can carry out all my manipulations and I have various ranges of that sheet linked to charts in the Word document. Now I want to be able to make a copy of the Word Document and a copy of the Excel sheet and then link the two, and I want to be able to do that for each new report. The problem is that I can't figure out how to get the new Word Documents to point to the new Excel files. The "Select Data" button only let's me modify ranges in the sheet that is already linked and I can't find anywhere to modify the sheet it points to.

You can add the 'Edit Links to Files' button to the QAT and change the source that way, or you can go to File|Info>Edit Links to Files.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Open the document in which you want to change the links.
Change to Draft view.
Press Alt+F9 to show field codes.
Press Ctrl+H to displays Find and Replace
dialog box.
In the Find box, enter the portion of the link you want to change.
In the Replace box, enter the new portion of the link.
Finish with Replace All then press Ctrl+A & F9.

Adrian G,
Hosted QuickBooks Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back