Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Content of List Based on Combo Choice in Form [Access 2003]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maillme

Technical User
Mar 11, 2003
NL
Hi there,

first of all - thanks to everyone who has been helping me with various issues over the past few weeks - its great to have such a fast, responsive and helpful community.

I have a database im using for document tracking - this tracks what documents have been published, different document versions and which feedback has been given from various reviewers against each version- my relationships are as follows (in it's simplistic view):

- Parent Document >
- Child Document >
- Document Feedback

Here is what i would like to end up with.

A form (parent document) that has a combo box, the values of this combo box will be all my parent documents. When i select another value from this list, i would like all the fields within the form to change accordingly (So, title, publish_date, document_versions(this is a list)).

Most importantly, i would like my list within this form to change accordingly - this list has all the different version of the documents (child documents), and when double clicked opens up the correct versions document record in a seperate form.

I've never done this before, but what i guess im needing to do is:

- Populate the combo on this form, with the values of the title field from this forms underlying table
- Change my list box dependant on what parent_document is chosen from the combo (the child_document)

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated - ive tried to search for tutorials on google with little success.

thanks again,
Neil

Hi

for your item 1 see How to use Combo box as a Navigation tool faq702-4398 in this forums FAQ

for you item 2, do you know how to use a subform ?

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
UK

Hi Ken,

thanks for your reply.

I've put the code into my form as follows:

Me.RecordsetClone.FindFirst "[parent_title] = '" & Me![combo_nav] & "'"
Me.Bookmark = Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark

Unfortunatelly - it's not doing anything (no errors,or changing of record) - i have uploaded a picture of my form to hopefully help:

I did have a quick try to achieve the 2nd part by using a subform yesterday, but with no success - however, once i get the firstpart working ill try again and see how i get on.

many thanks for your help,
Neil

Disregard,
oince again the bound column was wrong!

i willlet you know how i get on with the list,
thanks,
Neil

Hi There,

OK - i have tried to get my list populating with the relevant document versions but with no success.

My document versions are held in a table (document_log), and these link to their parents via the parent_document_id.

I now have my parent_document form working, so that when i select the relevant parent_document from my combo - the fields within the form all change accordingly....

...Apart from my subform, which has a list box with my dsocument versions - i cant seem to link the 2. When i added the subform, i linked them using the parent_doc_id and the document_id (see pic)

I have my list box, in my subform - and it displays ALL my document versions (the document_title field from my table document_log) but it doesn't change when i change the parent_record :( - please see picture's here:

many thanks for everyone's help,
Neil

OK, what you are getting is exactly what you are asking for. Ie you tell it to list the revisions with the same document id as the "parent" and that is what is doing. If you want to display a particular revision you have to "tell" it which one.

There are a couple of approaches here, you could have a combo box of revision ids, where the list shown is depenadant on the document id (there is a FAQ on doing this in the FAQ's), then you would have the subform with links of document id and revision id. Or you could have the revisions shown in a sub form, which itslf contains anoyther subform wich shows the detail of the currently selected revision.

Regards

Ken Reay
UK

Hi Ken,

I'm not wanting a particular revision per se, im wanting all revisions with the same parent id, so....

Document 1 is linked with child 1 & 2

When i view the document 1, i want child documents 1 & 2 in my list.

Document 2 is linked with child documents 3 & 4

When i view document 2, i want child documents 3 & 4 in my list.

Forgive me if im picking this up wrong - im struggling a bit to understand how to do this,

thanks again,
Neil

Hi

Looking at your screenshots, is DocumentId present (even if hidden) in the sub form?

Regards

Ken Reay
UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back