Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing column widths of a subform's datasheet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach314

Technical User
Jul 29, 2011
CA
hi to all - I have a subform that shows records in datasheet form. When a button on the parent form is clicked, the query underlying the subform's datasheet changes. Each of these datasheets has 9 columns, but the Field Names change depending on the underlying query. Only the 1st column keeps the same name ("Grp_ID").

I want to change the column width of the datasheet columns for 'best fit'. The usual way to do this is to add code to the subform's Load Event

Code:
[indent][/indent]Private Sub Form_Load()
    [indent][/indent]Me.Column1Name.ColumnWidth = -2
    [indent][/indent]Me.Column2Name.ColumnWidth = -2
    [indent][/indent]Me.Column3Name.ColumnWidth = -2
[indent][/indent]End Sub

My problem is that the column names CHANGE whenever I change the query. So... Is there a way to reference the columns of the datasheet BY POSITION, not by name?

Thanks in advance for any clues.
Teach314

Look here at the FixColumnWidth Procedure and the SetDAOFieldProperty

For some reason I can't pull up the link MajP gave, but all you need to do is loop through the controls and do the same thing as you posted, like this:
Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()

Dim ctl As Control

For Each ctl In Me.Controls

If TypeOf ctl Is TextBox Then

ctl.ColumnWidth = -2

End If

Next ctl

End Sub

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

The Devil's in the Details!

Thanks MajP - excellent link. It uses some techniques I wasn't familiar with at all, but things are now working properly!

this is a very good post by you....well done for this great post man......good job

Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back