Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing chipset causing inaccessable boot device 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eryctus

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2002
US
I recently upgraded motherboards with a different chipset (SiS to VIA) and cannot boot into windows.

Since you have changed the arcutecture of the motherboard in the system registry, try this; boot into safe mode, remove any devices pertaining to the old motherboard and any other devices (ie; modem, nic, video, etc...)from device mgr (assuming you are running Win 9X), when you reboot in normal mode, install the new motherboard drivers and any drivers for the other cards that may exsist. If this does not work, reload over the top.

Hope this helps, WMH
MCP+I, MCSE
smashfreakb.gif

This is a common occurrence.
Can you boot into safe mode? If so, go into device manager and remove everything you can & hopefully when it reboots, Windows will load appropriate drivers for new chipset.

if not - can you replace old board, boot & remove all you can then try again?

Or you could try a repair.

Tnx for the advise.. have tried all listed and cannot boot into safemode. W2K (re)install also fails if trying to change default folder to \winnt_1,\winnt1 etc...

Sounds like you need a clean install - can you mount drive in another machine to retrieve data you want to save (of course you probably backed up before moving boards)?

Before reinstalling, try doing a repair on your system. The process starts the same as a reinstall but can save you alot of time if windows is able to detect the new chipset and load the appropriate drivers.

Thanks so much for everyone's help. I have alas tried and failed (thus far) on both repair processes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back