Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing cd rom drive letter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackey333

Technical User
May 10, 2001
US
Is it possible to change the drive letters given to my cdroms in xp???...the setting is not where it was in windows 98.. -Greg :-Q

flaga.gif

Sure, go to the Administrator Tools - Computer Management – Disk Management, Select the drive, right click and select Change drive letter and Paths…

To expand a little on that...I make my CD-ROM as "R" for Reader, and my burner as "W" for Writer.
That way, if you ever add more drives/partitions to your system, they will not need to change (unless you exceed partition "R"!).
I have been known to have C through N :-D Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. double-click Storage,double-click Disk management(local),Right-click CDROM partition and choose change drive letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back