Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing an Impromptu Catalog's Database 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGirl

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
AU
I realise this has probably already been answered here several times before, but because the search functionality isnt working at the moment, i cant find the answer.

I have an impromptu catalog, and i want to change the the database that the catalog is pointing to, as we moved the DB to a new oracle DB with a new schema name. (Table names are the same, and the table names in the catalog arent fully qualified so it should be ok to switch databases without changing the catalog structure)

As i still want to use the old database for other reporting, I don't want to simply change the database that the logical database name points to.

I try to open the catalog, and i can choose the different DB, but it is telling me that the user id and password are incorrect. This is true, because it is trying to connect using the old DBs logon, but I can't seem to change the userid and password.

What do i need to do to get the catalog reading from the new DB?

J

JGirl,

You should be able to change the database id & password by opening the catalog as Creator and NOT checking the 'Connect to Database' checkbox.

The major issues I have found in pointing a catalog to multiple versions of the same database schema have to do with whether the versions have to be used by end users or not. In many companies, end-users do not have administrative rights on their own computers. This means that the cannot change the physical connect string for Impromptu, as it is in a location they do not have write-access to. In those cases, you should create a second logical database in Impromptu with the old database name and connection information. Then in the Catalog | Tables dialog, change the Database it points to to be the logical instance for the old database you just created. Change the name of this copy of the catalog. Once the administrator has copied these changes to the end-users' computer, they can open the same report with either database just by opening the appropriate catalog before they open the report. Only use this strategy if you have made the reports read-only to the end-users, or else you run the risk of an end-user making a persistent change in the catalog the reports will open by default.

Hope this helps,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Dave, thanks for the advice so far, but I need more!

Im not too concerned about end users, as im the only user of impromptu here. I have admin rights to my PC.

Here is what is happening.

1. Im opening IMPADMIN
2. Im opening the catalog, logging on as myself (i have admin priviledges, ie root user class etc)
3. Im choosing 'Creator' and not selecting 'connect to the database', then clicking OK
4. Im going to the 'catalog' menu and choosing 'tables..'
5. From the window that pops up, im selecting the new logical database that i have defined (I've tested this DB), and an error comes up saying "Your logon was incorrect. You entered an invalid user-id and/or an invalid password", and I click OK (the only option)
6. The catalog / database logon window appears (the same one as when you open the catalog), but it is all greyed out, so i can't change any of the settings here, such as the userid and password, all i can do is click OK or Cancel.

What do I do now? The new database that I want to point the catalog to has the same table structure as the old one, but the userid and password are different, but I cant seem to change them. What am i missing?

J

JGIRL:
Go to
Catalog
User Profile
Database Tab
Database Security Options
Make sure that this options is selected:
Prompt for Database Security

Hope this helps...John

John Organ
MIS

JGirl,

Sorry. As I indicated above, to get around this error, you must connect to the catalog without connecting to the database. Then go to the Catalog | User Profiles | Database tab and change the password there while you are not connected. Once you have done this, then go to the Catalog | Tables dialog and change the database to your new logical database that uses the password you just entered above. This should work fine. Let me know if it doesn't work that way for you.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Legendary stuff, your answers worked a treat. I wasnt expecting to find the DB details in the user profiles.

Thanks heaps.
J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back