Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CHANGING ADMIN PASSWORD !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisabennett

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
CA
I NEED TO CHANGE THE ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD BECAUSE A FEW PEOPLE KNOW IT .
IS IT AS SIMPLE AS JUST CHANGING IT IN THE USER MANAGER FOR DOMAIN, OR WILL EVERYTHING BE EFFECTED. I'M WORRIED THAT EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN INSTALLED UNDER ADMIN WILL NEED TO BE UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED.
WHAT THINGS DO I NEED TO LOOK INTO BEFOR DOING THIS? I THINK THAT IT SHOULD BE JUST CHANGING IT BUT THAT SEEMS TO EASY.
PLEASE HELP.
SCARED LISA

You can change the admininstrator password without worrying about reloading everything. The settings are in the profile which is not altered by changing the password.

You can change the administrator password by logging on as administrator then press ctrl, alt, del and choose change password. Enter the old password then TAB to new password enter and then TAB to confirm. PLEASE tab between the fields.

After changing the password log out and then log back in and everything will be fine.

THANK-YOU ,
I WILL TRY THIOS FIRST THING IN THE MORNING SO THAT I CAN RESTART THE SERVER . I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW I MAKE OUT.
THANKS AGAIN.
LISA

Lisa,

The answer to your question is not just a Yes/No answer.
We had some applications that stopped working after we changed the Administrator Password just because we changed the password. In some wierd way it was hardcoded into the
installed application and it would only work with the "old" password.
Just a reminder if anything goes wrong.........

Lisa,
Don't forget to check your services after you change the password! Some services (usually 3rd party) are set to logon with the administrator account. If the server gets rebooted, these will not start due to a logon error.

-gbiello

I changed the password this morning and every thing , so far, seems to be working fine. I do have a company that remotely comes in and there was no problems there either. I'm hoping that I won't run into any problems. Thanks to everyone who helped.
Lisa

(When running NT in the default configuration, you an always change the password back if you run into problems...) Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

HI!

Take a look in the Control Panel - Services , and check that all services that are set to "Automatic" startup are running.
Now restart the server when you can schedule downtime, if you haven't already did so, and check again.
Check also the event viewer.
If some services didn't load, you might have to give them the new password.

Bye
Yizhar
Yizhar Hurwitz

It is very simple to change the admin password. Just make sure that you go into Services and change all the Admin startup services to the new password as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back