Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing account name -good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekMcDonald

Technical User
Oct 5, 2000
US
One of our staffmembers recently got married and would like me to change her NT Server account (logon + e-mail) name accordingly. We're running Exchange Server 5.5 and Small Business Server 4.5.

The User Manager for Domains has a tool to change the account name, but given my experience with our server software so far, this seems just a bit too easy. So before I just go for it I'd like to know how well this tool works. Does it change the user's Exchange (e-mail) account name as well? How about the logon batch files or the user's personal server folder? Will it negatively affect management of the account in SBS?

Any advice/stories?

Thanks!

Set up a bogus user and run a test. It is a common practice to rename the administrator account but I don't know how this would effect Exchange.

Stel

The Exchange and NT acounts are separate accounts and need to be changed separately. You will also need to change the name of the home folder (which may break any linked files stored within).

I don't rename acounts. I only change the display name and call it good.

Jeff
masterracker@hotmail.com

If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......

Thanks, all. You've confirmed my suspicions... I'll create a new account and migrate everything over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back