Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing a master server hostname

Status
Not open for further replies.

talshekel

Vendor
Jan 23, 2003
ZA
I tried the instructions from the technote on moving a master server unsuccessfully.
I need to change the hostname of a master server. Anyone have any idea what the procedure to follow is ?

If you must retain your production catalog, then the answer is, I don't think that you can. The problem is that hostnames are deeply embedded throughout the catalog and image database. Our Veritas sales rep "claims" that they can do it, using their consulting services,however, evey tech I have spoken to over there is dubious.

If you don't need to retain your catalog, you could build your new master server on a different machine, and keep the existing master server intact until the last image written on it expires. You would, in effect, start from scratch with a brand new catalog. This way, if you need to do restores, then you could fire up your old system,query it for the media you need to perform a restore, and import the media/images that you need into the new system.

This would require some planning, in terms of scheduling the entire migration of clients, unless you have the capacity to take full backups of all of your clients in one cycle.

Another "hack" would involve creating a CNAME for your old server, which points to your new server, but, that's definitely not ideal.

HTH,

Steve

You could import all your tapes into the new master server, that way building up the image list on the new server, and restore the catalog onto the new server, as long as the path is the same on the new and old master servers. Of course you'd have to change all your classes, clients, and media server configs as well. Time consuming and a bit tedious, I'd say!

Have to admit though, only guessing - never had to do it!

Importing the tapes will work but it is too much of a long process. I realised i can put entries into the hosts file but that is a messy method.
Does anyone know all the places the hostname is placed and maybe i can work on finding way to change all of them indiviually or with scripting.
Thanks

Places where the Master Hostname can be found and changed:

Media & Device Management
File
Change Media Manager Host

Storage Unit Management
Storage-Unit
Change Server

Device Monitor
Host
Change Device Host

Activity Monitor
File
Change Master Server

Backup Policy Management
Class
Change Master Server

Backup, Archive, and Restore
Actions
Specify New Machine
Servers (tab)
New Server Name
Add
Make Current

Reports
File
Change Master Server

I was more refering to where the hostname can be found in the netbackup database's and registry.
eg image catalogue, device catalogue - all on the master server.

We have "changed/moved" Master Servers many times , the most recent only a couple of weeks ago.

We use an "alias" ( eg sysman-nb ) for the Master Server , Device Allocation Host , Global Database Host , Volume Databse Host etc , this is used in all config files , such as bp.conf.

This removes any tie in to the actual hostname of the Master Server , and allows us to move easily from one server to another , you just have to "copy" the relevant directories to the new master server. ( such as ../netbackup/db/images ../netbackup/db/class ../volmgr/database .... ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back