Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing a drive's designation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbes

MIS
May 11, 1999
US
First off,I'd like to thank Zel for the help with my last post about how to get my paralell port up and running. It's working fine now. Which leads me to my next quandry. Now that I got the port installed and was able to install the CD-burner to it, it's coming up as Drive E. Wouldn't be a problem, but I have 3 machines operating a sort of mini-network (all Work Station 4), and have mapped out the "server"'s C: drive to at least one of the other machines as, you guessed it, Drive E:. I'd like to move the drive designation of the burner a few letters down the alphabet, that way I don't have to mess around with the other drive mapping (it's for a very touchy custom piece of software). Anybody have an idea how to do this painlessly, or with the minimum amount of bloodshed?<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
Hobbes<br>

Try using disk administrator. That is the NT way of reassigning drive letters.

oneworld is correct. Click START, then PROGRAMS, then Administrative Tools(Common), and then Disk Administrator. Within the administrator you will see many boxes, each representing a drive.<br>
Highlight the box labeled CD-ROM 0 with the mouse, and then click Tools, then Assign Drive Letter.<br>
From there you simply click on the selectable list of available drive letters, and change it. The change will take effect immediately.<br>

I agree with oneworld. Use the NT's disk administrator to change drive letter designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back