Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed to 3Com switch, now HP printer doesn't work properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfie1noakes

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2002
GB
We have just changed over from an old Netgear switch to 2 3Com 3300 TM, and 3300 MM.

The change over was pretty much seamless, as you would hope. But I have one major problem.

While all the servers, desktops, printers etc.. all picked each other up with minimal problems, the HP 1050c plotter has not worked properly since.

If you send something to print, it will accumulate in the queue on the server, until someone turns the printer off, and on again. Then it will work fine. It generally seems to do this, until everyones machines have been turned off and back on again, and then we start again.

For example, if I was to turn my machine on, send a file to print, I would need to turn the printer off and back on again to get it to work. Once I have been throught this process, it will work until I turn my machine off, and then I need to go through the same process.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy

First thing I'd do is lock down the port on the switch and the plotter with respect to speed & duplex. Don't let them auto-negotiate.

OK,

How would I go about this, I am quite new to 3Com switches, actually, I have never used them before!!

Could you point me in the right direction..?

Andy

The easiest way is through through the web-based interface. Use your browser to connect to the IP address of the switch, and follow your nose -- it' pretty straight forward. If you don't know the IP address, I believe the switches ship with a utility on CD that will "discover" the address for you.

If the switch has a console port on the back (most of the 3300 series do), you can also use a serial cable to connect a PC or laptop to the console port via Hyper Terminal. Login (default user name and password are in the manual), and follow the menus. They are really easy, 3Com doesn't use a cryptic command line language like Cisco does.

Fantastic,

I will have a look today, and see how we get on.

Will update later hopefully!!

Thanks

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back