Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed Register, Can't access router through console now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grep2

Technical User
Oct 20, 2006
CA
I have a couple of Cisco 2501 routers in my home lab. I was following the instructions on a Cisco netacad lab that asked that I change the baud rate of the routers console port to 115200. The instructions were for a newer router, I guess, but I did some research and found out that by changing the register value to 0x3922 I would get the desired settings. Now I can't access the router via Hyperterminal on Windows of minicom on Linux. I did make the changes on the terminals to 115200. I suspect the problem is that the 2500's don't support this baud rate? How can I fix this problem?

hey,,, i have done that before..but with a 2600..
..i think the 2500's will support the 115200 baud rate..

the below is instruction on how to reset the baud rate by shorting some jumpers (on a 2600)..

..(i couldnt find anything for 2500)
..but i bet the process is similar..

---> copied from above link..(Jumper J3 on the motherboard of the Cisco 2600 and 3600 Series Routers controls the speed reset. The factory default position of the shunt shorts pins 2-3. When the shunt is moved to pins 1-2, the console is reset to 9600 baud on the next power cycle. The following figures show the location of the console reset jumper, labeled DUART_RST or BAUD_RST)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
..the below is where the jumpers are located on 2500

page 54..
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
..good luck!

CCNP,CCSP,MCSE,Sec+,Net+,A+...

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find any info about what the jumpers do on the 2501 series. I tried all combinations and was still not able to access the router. I tried all baud rates from 9600 to 115200 with not luck. I almost gave up when I decided to try 2400 baud. Ta Da! I was graced with a > prompt. Reset the register and all is back to normal.

.....great!
...good luck with the labs

CCNP,CCSP,MCSE,Sec+,Net+,A+...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back