Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changed individual dn list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8x24Admin

Technical User
Jun 8, 2016
US
Meridian Northern Telecom M8X24-DS

I suddenly had a phone (port) change it's dn number by itself. "Set relocation" is "N". I did not change wiring or change the internal dn # so I'm confused as to why it changed itself.
I used phone 44 for testing- moved phone 44 from dn 44 (on wiring location port #44 as well) to dn 41 (wiring/port # 41) temporarily to test the wiring there and when I put the phone back on 44 it suddenly became dn 29 (that jack is STILL attached to port 44 physically). Phone system going nuts or something I'm overlooking? Don't understand why it became 29 when it *was* 44 originally... (we haven't used dn or port 29 in MANY years)
I can't remember where/how to check for renumbered dns... "F**266344 > Config > System Data > Individual DN" only allows changing the number and doesn't show current programming...

Also have an unrelated question as well. dn 22 (front desk phone/The General Delivery is attached to this dn as well) has gone bad and doing flaky things. (Feature * 0 no longer checks phone button programming & I have been told you have to press the volume + button once or you can't hear the caller?)
Anyhow, what is the minimum phone required for this station? It has a 7324 right now. I'm thinking any phone would work? (other phones would hamper the operation of transferring calls, etc. with less buttons to be programmed I know but...)

Your system is from when? 1988? so it B OLD, cranky and forgetful!

That's a lot of read..too much.
"I moved phone 44 from dn 44 (on wiring location port #44 as well"
No such thing as moving a phone from a DN, you moved a phone from one port to another.

"I can't remember where/how to check for renumbered dns..."
I gather you mean Port Status?, that is Maintenance.

Note if ever happens:
If you install a new set (that has never been on that system) in place of another phone the new set will take over the DN, the old set will take on what ever DN the port is when you move it.
Sometimes moving sets too fast will screw up the DN's on those systems - maybe your culprit in this case.
Maintenance can lie on those too, always Intercom the DN to make sure you can steal that port when need.

"what is the minimum phone required for this station?"
There is no such thing as min or max, you can install any Norstar M model phone you want.
7100, 7208, 7310, 7410, 7324

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

>Your system is from when? 1988? so it B OLD, cranky and forgetful!
Like us... LOL [bigsmile]

>No such thing as moving a phone from a DN, you moved a phone from one port to another.

Sorry, that is correct. I moved it from the phone jack on port 44 to the phone jack on port 41, then back again.

>If you install a new set (that has never been on that system) in place of another phone the new set will take over the DN, the old set will take on what ever DN the port is when you move it.

That's the strange part. As I said before, that phone *was* on port 44; I just temporarily moved it from port 44 to 41 then back to 44 again and suddenly port 44 then became port 29 (according to the system as Feature * 0 now says that set is 29 now instead of 44).

>Sometimes moving sets too fast will screw up the DN's on those systems - maybe your culprit in this case.

Anything's possible I suppose. Although I don't really walk as fast as I used to... [lol]

[thanks] curlycord!

I'll try unplugging the phone system for about 15 seconds and see if that helps anything. I'll do it Saturday when the company is closed of course so I don't get flogged. [hairpull] [flame] [hammer]

We've had power outages here that lasted over 14 hours and she still booted up and remembered everything fine (so far-knock on wood) [thumbsup2] [lol]
Edit: Rebooting her didn't help my funky problem- port 44 is still 29. I'll have to investigate further later when I have more time... [banghead]

You never mentioned the software version. Could you supply it please.

Marv ccna

Sorry. Belated but the info is below.

When I ran port info it said port P109 was dn44 and port P124 was dn 29, which still puzzles me as I ran the wire to, what I'd swore, was port 44 myself; oh well- I just, at that time, changed dn 44 to 29 so they'd match as P109 as 29 and P124 as 44.

Here's everything I have on it so far. Sorry everything's all jumbled up since I made notes a little at a time over the years... I'm sure there's more I've missed as well. (Thank you for your offering to help!)

Meridian M8X24-DS
Northern Telecom

SP: 30MUM05 DR5
RTP

NT5B24CJ-93 software cartridge DR5.1

Norstar Flash
Nortel
NTAB2455 2 Ch. Flash Rel. 01A
StarTalk Voicemail Flash
NNTM8456EUCX
N* Flash 2.1.0.0

Nortel Flash NT5B78EB Rel 04 E/F Flash
VM 2.0 Featcart
Startalk Flash Mail Cart

You mention port 44 on a number of occasions, no such thing as port 44 so try not to confuse between the two when posting.
DN's start at 21, Ports start at 101.

"at that time, changed dn 44 to 29 so they'd match as P109 as 29 and P124 as 44."
And what? you fixed it?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Sorry, you are correct as always... I'm always in too much of a hurry I suppose and get it jumbled up. In my mind I just simplify it for myself as being port 44 which is easier to remember than port 124...

Not really. I had to just abandon it as that phone had to be moved (M7324 phone went bad; Feature * 0 no longer worked & ladies told me at first the caller could not hear them when they answered the phone and they had to increase the phone volume so the caller could hear them!?! Then later they longer hear them at all even with their Vol+ trick). Moved M7208 phone from port/jack 124 to port/jack 102, then moved General Delivery from P102 (dn22) to dn 21 (Port 101) on Saturday. Everything seemed fine but today when I called the General Manager (phone on port 104) it said "24 Busy"? Don't remember ever getting that before (she said she was on a call) but I suppose it's working as it should as I cannot set that sets' Forward on Busy to 39 (voicemail) as it has a ringing appearance. Made that mistake before... [hammer]
Still, I thought it would ring even if she was on another call; perhaps just on another internal call would ring through to her but on an external call wouldn't and says Busy. I don't make calls enough to even know what I'm doing! [lol]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back