Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed from Member of Domain to Workgroup But now cannot login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancbar

MIS
Apr 6, 2001
US
I have a strange problem. After changing my system to a workgroup after being in a domain I can no longer login to the machine. Is there any Password Recovery for Windows 2000?

Need some more information...are you using the drop-down at the login screen (from the "Advanced" button) to change the login location back to your local computer name instead of the domain? Are you saying you have forgotten the Administrator password? Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

I have tried the Advanced option but for some reason there are no options listed.

When I try the old Administrator account that had previously worked when I was part of the domain it failed to log me in since I cannot change my logon options. Also the Local Administrator Account did not seem to work either.

I also tried logging through VPN but it failed to connect to the Server.

I also tried all of the options that are accessible 'Safe Mode' etc.

None of these options seem to work.

Darn....that IS a werid one...?! Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Well.. the Local Admin account is the only one that matter now, since your in a workgroup. If you didn't create any local accounts with local admin rights, your only hope is to recall what the local admin p/w is. Good luck bro!

Time To Reinstall I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions

If you don't want to reinstall. You may consider third party programs to change admin pass or use linux. Check online there are quite a few. I'm not going to post any for i have not used them. Good luck! -md

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back