Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed DCHP scope, still releasing old IP addres????!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2003
CA
I have 2 Windows 2000 servers running AD on the same domain on a 192.168.0.x subnet. On server 2 I set up DCHP for address 230-250. I deleted that DHCP scope and created another one on server 1 which is 200-230. The weird thing is existing users that are on DHCP are pulling up the old addresses like 192.168.0.244? I formatted a PC, reinstalled Windows XP and it pulled up the proper address of 192.168.0.200. Any ideas??

If you do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew on an affected computer will that work for you? This should sync the computers with your present dhcp configuration....

Yes I have tried all that stuff already, also in the DHCP lease section on my server, it registers no leases which is odd. The orginal configuration had a 7 day lease, maybe the PC's still have that info and will renew after 7 days? I will wait and see.

Check also for rouge DHCP in your network like a router or firewall that has DHCP enabled.

You can use Network Monitor on a w2k server to see where the addresses are coming from. Turn the packet capture on then do a release renew and see who answers back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back