Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change xp pro domain membership; copy user's profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwu

MIS
Dec 18, 2002
US
I setup a new ad domain along side an old one. I am going to disjoin all of the computer's from the old domain and join them to the new domain. What is the best way to handle the user profiles?

I have tested and done a "copy to.." but some of the setting have not copied over. I am guessing it has something to do with the registry.

What am I doing wrong and is there a better way?

thanks

Much better way to do it is to use ADMT. ADMT will convert the pofiles and preserve SID history for you. Your users will be able to use the same profile nad log into either domain while you complete your transition.

There is EXTENSIVE documentation on support.microsoft.com regarding the migration of users and computers. Start there to get all the latest info.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks!

I have downloaded and tested. One problem. the new domain is using a different dns server than the old domain. The computer.

When I start the user migration wizard and it asks for the source and target domains, I get an error:

"The detwork path was not found(Error code=53, domain=olddomain.com)".

Note: the pc that admt is installed on is pointed to the new dns server.

If I change my computer to point to the old dns server I get the same error message but:

"The detwork path was not found(Error code=53, domain=newdomain.com)".

How can I get around this?

thanks again

The best way to resolve that is to make the Domain Controllers in the new domain secondary DNS servers for the first domain's DNS zone and vice versa. So you end up with copies of both zones in the DNS of both domains. Also if there is a firewall or any packet filtering going on between the two domains, it could result in this type of problem.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back