Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Word default view/zoom 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAOK

Instructor
Sep 9, 2002
US
In Word 2000, I have a station that all new documents open in Print Layout view at 75%. Other stations view a new document at 80-90% so that the "page" fills most of the screen. At 75%, the "page" is filling less than half the screen and more than a fourth of the screen gray on each side of the "page".

I know that Print Layout is the default view, but the user wants the default zoom to be at Page Width.

I've checked Tools/Options/View tab. I've tried opening Normal.dot and changing the settings and save, but that didn't work. I've search the local and online help files, but can't find how to set this default.

Can I make this default change? I hope the answer is not changing the screen resolution to 640X480, because the user likes the higher resolution when on the Internet.

THANKS
Sherry Alexander

When MSWord is closed... by designed it stores the "zoom" for next session.

Example:
Open Word, change zoom, close file.
Open new doc or (close Word and re-open) both will be at the new zoom.

This is also true when you use Word as your editor in Outlook. See:

I'm still not getting it. Changing the Zoom to 100% on a file, save and close -- THAT file will open at 100%, but every new document opens at 75%, way too small.

I tried the link in the previous post, but the page couldn't be found. I searched the MS knowledge base, but still not getting an answer that works.

More help?

SA

Should have worked as previously posted. Only other "guess" on my part is their may be other settings stored in a global template. NORMAL.DOT is always loaded, but their may be group or global templates which have different settings.

If the document was previously saved a 75% it will reopen at the saved 75% zoom.

Example:
Open one of your 75% zoomed files.
Change zoom to 100%
Format/Font/Default/ Yes to save Normal.dot

Close file.
Re-open... it is now saved with 100%

Good luck!

Still stumped--

Mblaster,
You're right. When I save a document at a zoom %,THAT document re-opens in the new zoom level. What I can't change is the zoom level of a NEW BLANK DOC. Gotta be a default someplace.

Jbobby,
Thanks, I did poke around Organizer, but didn't find any other global templates. Good guess though, I hadn't tried that.

I'm suprised that changing normal.dot and saving it doesn't do it! But then, I get surprised by lots of stuff <grin>.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. At least I know I'm trying the same things you'd think of. I'll keep looking! If I ever figure this out, Im gonna SO post it!

Sherry

Sherry!

Word needs to believe that a change has been made. If you only change the zoom setting and nothing else, it may think there were no changes. I realize you might be quite Word literate, so, please excuse the detailed explanation.

Start Word. Go to File, Open and in the Open dialog box select (Document Template (*.Dot) under Files of Type. Navigate to Normal.dot and open the file. Change your Zoom setting. In the main document screen type a space and then hit backspace. Save the file.

Chances are this will give you your default view.

You can set the default zoom to page width for all opened documents, but this requires some programming in VBA and playing with Application events and should be done under control of person with VBA knowledge.
The path is:
- get control on application (word) events
- write procedure tracing opening the document
- activate the procedure

If you are still interested let me know.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. Here's the latest--

If the last saved document was in Normal View and Page Width Zoom, all New Blank docs open in Normal View at exactly Page Width Zoom. Change the zoom and save. All new blank docs open in (Normal View) new zoom settings.

However -- If the last saved document was in Print Layout View and Page Width Zoom, all New Blank docs open in Print Layout View with 75% zoom.

XLHELP,
I tried the Normal.dot save you suggested (space/backspace). I get the same as above. No matter what zoom setting in Print Layout at time of save, all future new docs open at 75%. It DOES maintain zoom settings, as above, in Normal View.

Now, this has got to be a weird glitch or I just don't hold my mouth right...At home, my Word is doing exactly as above..BUT my husband's is acting as all you wonderful helpers are saying it should act. His will retain any view/zoom combination. What's wrong with me!!! AAAAAAAAH!

I did fall back on my &quot;if all else fails&quot; position and did a re-install. No different. I'm begining to feel like Charlie Brown with the football. <insert perplexed look here>

COMBO,
Thanks for the VBA offer, but I'm not knowledgable.

Are you sure you don't have more than one instance of normal.dot? Because what I suggested about typing a character and and deleting it, is tried, tested and true method (and, no I don't sell Chevrolets).

xlhelp,

YOUR ARE A GENIUS! YOU ARE THE MASTER! (I'd buy a Chevrolets from you.)

Had a normal.dot in &quot;ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\Templates&quot;

Word was using the template at:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Now it works.

Again, thanks to everyone for staying with me on this. So simple, want to kick myself for not thinking of it.

Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back