Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change user from being part of workgroup to domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcasey

MIS
Oct 31, 2002
US
Is there a way I can remotely add a machine to the domain without having to give him a domain userid/pass?

I have domain authority and was wondering if there was a way through admin tools or something I could do to add him without having to give up the user/pass to an end-user.

I have the machine hostname and we use DHCP. Is there a way I could get his IP, then use that?

Thanks.

Sorry, but if you want a system to join a domain, then it must have a userid and password in order to be recognized by the domain.

Murray

install vnc on client(send user the vnc install disc[walk him/her through installation]), and vnc viewer on your pc.
then vnc in and add to domain.
(thats if the client is reachable)

A VNC only allows a view of the system NOT joining the system...

What is VNC? - A practical introduction
VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote display system which allows you to view a computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine architectures.

Murray

Create a "temporary" user, give him that, and then remove the user.

I was too brief. Create a temporary Domain Admin user. Give him that. Delete the temporary user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back