Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change USB Permissions in Vista? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1oldfoxman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2002
US
To make my Creative Labs MP3 player work, I think I need to adjust the permissions for the EVERYONE group on the USB ports in the Registry. This is how I fixed the same problem of non-discovery under WinXP with the same device. However, my account which is the Administrator account seems to be not allowed to change these settings in RegEdit. Any trick to making changes like this in Vista? I'm brand new at Vista and getting frustrated not being able to get my favorite device to get recognized by Creative's own software (new, Vista-compatible).

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can lend.

Dennis

If registry hacks are needed then this software is certainly not Vista compatible.

That said what are the issues you are having when trying to change the permissions on the registry. I've just tried the same here and it allowed me to add the Everyone group and then assign it with full permissions.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Are there any later Creative drivers which might help? What is the model MP3? What Registry Key are you amending?

Is Vista recognizing it as a Removable Drive or anything at all?

Have you tried different USB ports?

Are there any errors in the Device Manager or Event Viewer?

Is your computer seeing other USB devices?

Do you have access to another Vista machine where you can test it on that one?

Greg, thanks for responding.
I'm able to get to the screen to change permissions on the USB registry object, highlight "Everyone", click on the Full Control checkoff box, Read is clicked on (dimmed). When I click "OK", I get an Windows Security error "Unable to save permission changes on USB. Access is denied." That's where I'm stuck. Only one account seup on this PC, the admin user that got setup during the first Vista bootup.
I'm attempting to follow the same fix I used previously in XP on another PC. My guess is this hack will fix the Creative Labs software's inability to see the USB MP3 connection.

Linney, answers to your questions below:

Are there any later Creative drivers which might help?
- Made sure I already had the newest one

What is the model MP3?
- Zen Sleek Photo (less than a year old)

What Registry Key are you amending?
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

Is Vista recognizing it as a Removable Drive or anything at all?
- Yes, Vista sees it. Windows Media Player sees it, sees the contents, but won't play from it.

Have you tried different USB ports?
- Yes, same issue on each.

Are there any errors in the Device Manager or Event Viewer?
- No errors in device manager. Have tried deleting and letting Window re-recognize the device - no problem.
- Don't see anything in the event viewer that seems to relate (although for the most part I don't understand what I'm seeing in there anyways.)

Is your computer seeing other USB devices?
- Yes.

Do you have access to another Vista machine where you can test it on that one?
- Alas, no.

Any ideas?

What you need to do is take ownership of that registry entry.

In the permissions setting click on Advanced > Click on Owner Tab > Select your User Name in the List > Click Apply > Click OK

You should now be able to change the permissions.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Greg thanks for the tip. That got me the permissions I needed. Unfortunately the issue required further work.

Linney, thanks for the CreativeLabs forum link. There I found the fellow who'd aleady solved the problem and was kind enough to email me the lengthy instructions for the fix. Gotta love all you folks who'll help the uninitiated.

Thanks again for your assitance.

dennis

A summary of the instructions, or a direct link to that information, would sit nicely at the bottom of this thread for the next person to hit this snag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back