Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change url with php or htaccess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rye8261

Technical User
Jul 6, 2003
US
I have a url that dynamically shows images with the data in the url and it works great but I'd like to take out the page. Here is the example:

I'd like to make this be:

Can i do that with php or do I have to do it with an htaccess or is it not possible?

Thanks,

---------------------------------------
- Free General Web Directory, Free Web site submissions.

in the structure you posted above i am surprised that either works. (unless you meant [red]?[/red]data/image.png)

php cannot, i do not think, do what you wish with this structure (at least not on its own).

.htaccess might but you may want to zoom off to the Apache forum.

Thanks, I'll try the Apache forum.

I'm using a url parse function to make the above example work. I'd just like to make it look better if possible.

---------------------------------------

ask about mod_rewrite in the apache forum.

If you decide to use mod_rewrite, here's a great tutorial on it:
I use mod_rewrite a lot just for SEO purposes, it seems like I get less repeat results in google as well with php query strings hidden with mod_rewrite. But it can be a major pain sometimes if you do a lot of rewrite rules, and too many can slow down your server.

isn't it silly that comments about red-flagging threads (and naming those that started the flag) inappropriately get red-flagged and moderated themselves. it's as if those who red-flag threads are embarrassed or have something to hide.

I'd like to suggest that a publicly accessible list is created to record those threads that are red-flagged, with the person initiating the flagging and the reasons entered by that person.

this will help prevent inappropriate mis-use of the feature and will create a more open atmosphere. Most other boards that i participate in have a similar feature, I feel that this board would similarly benefit.

comments welcomed (and apologies to the OP for the hijack).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back