Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change the initial language used 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

richsabe

Technical User
Jul 21, 2004
US
I have a PC running Windows 2000 Professional. For some reason it boots up with the langauge set to French. I have gone to Control Panel, Regional Options and go the General tab I have set the my locale to English (United States) and set the default to English (United States). On the Input Locales tab I have set the input language to English (United States) and set it as the default. I have also removed the option for French.

When I restart the PC I still have to press the wrong keys to get the right letters to show up (i.e. I press ; and it shows an m, I press q and it shows an a, etc). Once I am logged in then the keyboard reverts to English. Can anyone tell me where I can go in the registry to set the bootup langauage to English (United States)

To change the default keyboard settings in the registry:
Run Registry Editor. Go to the following key:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload

Change the value for the key "1" to contain the keyboard layout that you want to have avilable at logon.
This example would set the default keyboard layout to US-English:
"1" REG_SZ = "0409"

The first keyboard layout (usually "1") in the list of available layouts is used by default.

The default settings in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT are also used when you define a new user.

For Windows NT 4.0 and later, the following registry key tree contains a listing of keyboard layout codes, so you can search there for layout you need:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

Thanks Karlis, exactly what I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back