Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change the Default Font for an existing form

Status
Not open for further replies.

apchambers

Programmer
Jul 17, 2003
GB
Hi All
For various reasons I have to change the default font for Access 2003 forms which already exist. The font is held somewhere in the form details but I can't find it and I need to change it.
The only way I can think of doing it is to change the defaults in Access and then create new forms and paste all the details in, fraught with danger. Also there are 20+ forms affected.
If anyone can help I would be most grateful
Thanks
Anne

it's not as straight forwards as that...

each object on your form will have it's own font property, and if you want them all to be changed, you will have to go through each object on each form and change them.

the best way would be to write a simple script which loops through all your forms and all your controls and changes the font property.

if you have a good naming scheme, you can even get your script to change fonts based on the object's name...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it's not the Font Property that you can see for each control. It is a font which is held somewhere in Access which shows the default font in existence when the form was originally created. I presume what was the Normal template at the time.
Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Not exactly sure what you are asking because what Crowley suggests should be the solution for forms and reports that are already made. Loop through each form and report, place in design mode, loop through relevant controls, change font, save form or report. For future forms and reports you can change the default font from the options menu or build your own templates. Here are some other tips:

apchambers said:
[blue]Unfortunately it's not the Font Property that you can see for each control.[/blue]
Its the [blue]Font Name[/blue] property to be exact! How do you suppose every control (capable of displaying text) is able to display a seperate font! In fact the [blue]Font Name[/blue] property (in design view) is a combobox of all the fonts available to access.
apchambers said:
[blue]It is a font which is held somewhere in Access which shows the default font in existence when the form was originally created.[/blue]
This is correct. It's the font name used in the template for the particular control at the time the form is created. Bear in mind this is a default font. You can still change the font name for each control. This default font is for newly created forms.

You'll still have to loop thru all forms and controls on those forms to reset the font name to what you want. Only hitch is to make them permanent your loop has to make the changes in design view.

[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back