Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Terminal Services Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwgreen

Programmer
Mar 23, 2006
CA
I have a Windows 2003 backup Domain Controller and someone switched the terminal Services mode from Remote Administration to Application mode, and I can't find a way to switch it back.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thanks,

Brian

Uninstall TS.

Can this be done through the Add/Remove Programs item, and without having to rebuild the server?

You may need a reboot after the uninstall though... also uninstall TS Licensing if that is installed as well

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

OK, I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, and rebooted - same problem. Looking at my other servers, Terminal Server is not installed at all.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

When you go through windows compnents in aDD/remove programs it should prompt you for apllication server or remote adminitration mode. Make sure to use remote administration and that is all there is to it.

hi,
probably I have not understood,
and I am saying trivial things, but I read:
"uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled"
what have you reinstalled ?

In Ws2003 Remote administration is already installed
when you setup server, you have just to enable remote
desktop in System Properties, Remote.

If in ws2k3 you install TS in system component,
(dislike from W2K), you install (and enable)
the application mode.

If you have installed TS, the setup, did not ask you
(as in W2K): want you administration or application?

I hope to have understood your situation.

bye
vic

I uninstalled and reinstalled Terminal Services. I can try to remove it and see if I can connect, checking the settings in System -> Remote.

Brian

The thing is, if all you need it to be able to manage it remotely; you do not need to install anything.

The only thing you need is to check the box on the Remote tab in Computer Properties to allow remote administration.

I tried that - it worked! I can now get to the server from my desk, without having to go into the server room where the A/C is on high!

Thanks for yuor help everyone!

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back