Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change terminal server method after install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray2nite

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
US
A few months ago I installed a copy of server 2003 enterprise x64. When I previously installed server r2 x32, I

always got an option for "administrative rdp" with 2 users. I didn't get that this time. I wasn't finding it and I

had to leave the location. I had to allow terminal server licensing for 120 days.
Well, never got it fixed and now it won't let me log in with RDP again. How can I fix this/ change the option to
administrative RDP without reinstalling? We don't really need a terminal server, I just want to be able to

adminsitrate with RDP. Can I fix this without re-installing?

No what you actually did is enable full blown terminal services (ie application mode) and therefore were being prompted for a license. TS for administration is installed by default and not added as a Windows Component.

Now that the license has expired, you can only logon remotely by using the mstsc /v:<server> /console or /admin (depending on the version of the RDP client you are running)

You will need to un-install TS application mode and enable RDP for remote administration only (Computer Properties->Remote Tab)

Can you fix this? Yes - itsp1965 starts with No but means that you can fix it!!!

Thanks for the help. I haven't had time to get back to it yet but when I do I will let you know how I made out.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back