Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change SQL to Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamSt

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
I have a customer database and I'm trying to change some SQL in to code. I have a customer form with a subform and I need information from both to open another form. My SQL minis the fields read

FROM Customer INNER JOIN Orders ON Customer.CustomerNumber = Orders.CustomerNumber
WHERE ((([Customer]![CustomerNumber])=[Forms]![NewOrder]![CustomerNumber]) AND (([Orders]![OrdersNumber])=[Forms]![NewOrder].[OrSub].[Form]![OrderNumber]));

I open the form with this query and it works fine but I would like to write it in code. I tried to write it like this:
DoCmd.OpenForm "ExpOrders",,, "CustomerNumber = '"& Me!CustomerNumber& "' And
OrderNumber = '"& Me!OrSub.Form!OrderNumber & "'"
I use this and I keep getting Errors, can anyone see what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks Pam.

Two suggestions to start you off -
Try using a . (decimal point) not the ! (exclamation mark)
and put a space in front of the & characters.

cjw

Generally AVOID the practice. Unless it is a pass through query, Ms. A. will parse/compile the sql string every time is is used, causing some delay in processing. A metter approach (in the general case) is perhaps to parameterize the query and pass the parameters during instantiation.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

"CustomerNumber = '"& Me!CustomerNumber& "' And
OrderNumber = '"& Me!OrSub.Form!OrderNumber & "'"

The CustomerNumber and the OrderNumber are really numbers?

If yes then don't use '

And beatween the CustomerNumber and & leave a space

"CustomerNumber = "& Me!CustomerNumber & " And
OrderNumber = "& Me!OrSub.Form!OrderNumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back